Training and Development
Training and development are essential to ensuring that our employees are successful. Campbell University (CU) offers programs for learning and career development through a variety of media, including classroom-based courses, webinars, podcasts and self-paced e-learning options to our entire workforce. In FY2015, we took CU to the next level by expanding the presence of CU online globally, converting many in-class sessions to e-learning or web-based classes and adding an ongoing needs assessment. Some of Campbell’s training and development opportunities include:
- CU “Work Out Wednesdays” (WOW) offering a diverse catalog of over 32 different courses globally
- CU Manager Excellence, an important driver of high performance with its six-month comprehensive learning curriculum program designed to create consistency across the enterprise
- CU Future Leaders providing sessions for top talent poised to take on global leadership roles
- Tuition reimbursement of $10,000 per year to eligible employees in the U.S. who complete courses at accredited schools to enhance skills associated with their roles at Campbell
- Access for all employees to external memberships to organizations such as Leadership America and Leaders Edge/Leaders By Design that specifically support the development of executive women
- Online talent management system allowing employees worldwide to manage their personal development and career goals and receive feedback and insights from their managers
These and other training and development opportunities are discussed between managers and employees around the world as part of annual performance reviews. This review process also factors in individual development plans, which are customized around each employee’s career experiences, skills, interests and aspirations.
To support our move to a high-performance organization, we realized the need to implement a more comprehensive tool that measures not only engagement, but also our organization’s levels of performance excellence in key areas. In 2012, we began measuring this performance through the annual Drive Survey. The results of the Drive Survey are used to guide top-level changes in support of our strategic priorities and to further develop our high-performance culture. Manager excellence is a key driver in a high-performing organization, and we survey our global salaried population twice per year on manager excellence topics. We also leverage this survey to measure other key strategic initiatives like customer orientation and company Purpose. Our continuous improvement process also includes a survey of the Campbell employees every other year. This is especially important in the integration of new acquisitions so that we are capturing feedback holistically.
High-performing people create high-performing organizations. We drive individual high performance by assessing our employees based on their contributions to the business, not just tasks completed. We incentivize strong performance results through ongoing programs designed to help advance their careers, maximize their contributions within their roles and develop the requisite skills to perform more effectively.
Peer recognition is also an important part of building a high-performance culture. Campbell has a number of employee recognition programs at both the local and global levels that are designed to identify and reward employees whose contributions and actions make a difference. One such program is our Make a Difference Awards. This unique online recognition program allows our employees to formally thank another employee for making a difference at any time of the year. The recipients of MAD awards receive a gift card and a certificate to display in their workspace.
Campbell’s Greatness Awards — our premier, company-wide recognition program — recognize individual employees and teams for results that directly support our business strategies, Leadership Model and values. Campbell’s second annual Greatness Awards recognized the outstanding achievements of 22 Campbell teams and individuals throughout FY2015. The categories for recognition include: strengthening our core business, expanding and innovating in new spaces and segments, enabling growth and leadership, driving a culture of high performance, and living our Purpose to make a difference through moments that matter. The winners in each category receive a trophy and a monetary award.